Special Education Parent Information

  • The following links are downloadable PDF documents.

    Special Education Parent Rights

    Special Education Parent Rights - Korean Version

    Special Education Rights - Spanish Version




    If you are transferring to another public education agency in the State of Alabama, your child’s special education records (IEP, etc.) will be electronically sent to that district through the state-wide student database coordinated by the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE).  Once you enroll your child in another district and they place them in their student database, that district will receive a notice that the student’s records are available to them through ALSDE. 


    If you are transferring to an out-of-state school, special education records do not transfer electronically and you will be responsible for sharing any important information with the receiving school.  The determination of your child’s placement and evaluation of his/her records will be determined based on the policies and procedures of the state in which you will be residing.  We will forward the student records to the new school when we receive a request for records from the school district. 


    The confidentiality of the records will be maintained according to federal regulations, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) 34 CFR Part 99 and state regulations, the Alabama Administrative Code 290-8-9(2)(e).

  • Alabama Parent Survey

    The Alabama State Department of Education-Special Education Services (SES) has developed a new video podcast designed specifically to help parents better understand special education concepts, processes, and procedural safeguards.

     To access the podcast click here:Parent Partners in Special Education