October 24, 2023
Greetings DMS Families,
We are enjoying an exciting Spirit Week and look forward to the pep rally and Great Break events later this week! Please take a moment to review all the information below.
Remaining Spirit Week Days Follow your team’s Instagram account or the school's Instagram @jfdrakemiddleschool to see pictures of Spirit Week excitement!
- Wednesday, October 25th – "Stand Proud and Pink Against Drugs and Bullying" – Wear anything camouflaged and/or pink.
- Thursday, October 26th – "Wildcats are Drug and Bully Free" - Extreme Team Day - Wear your most spirited team colors/clothing for the Pep Rally!
- Friday, October 27th – "Kids with Character are Drug and Bully Free" - Book Character Dress Up Day
Pep Rally Information Thursday, Oct. 26th
- The Pep Rally at Duck Samford Stadium will begin at 10:00 a.m.
- Buses will leave DMS between 9:15 a.m. and 9:30 a.m.
- Parents are welcome to attend the pep rally and teams may ask volunteers to help prior to students leaving campus.
- We anticipate the pep rally ending around 10:45 a.m. and students returning to DMS by 11:30 a.m.
- We will announce our Butter Braid Fundraising total and name the DMS Teacher of the Year at the pep rally.
Great Break Information Thursday, Oct. 26th
- PBS Great Break will happen in the afternoon following the Pep Rally.
- It will begin around 2:15 p.m. and end around 3:15 p.m.
Butter Braid Leader Board
Thank you for your support of our fundraising efforts this fall! We are excited about revealing our final leaderboard this week at the pep rally and celebrating all student efforts to raise money for our PTO! You can still sell Butter Braids through 11:59 p.m. tonight!
- Cosmic Cats
Beat Bama Food Drive – October 23rd – November 15th
Since 1994, the Beat Bama Food Drive and the Food Bank of East Alabama have united students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community members to help fight hunger and food insecurity in East Alabama by challenging the University of Alabama and the Food Bank of West Alabama to see who can collect more non-perishable food to help the needy.
DMS students can bring in canned foods from Monday, October 23rd through Wednesday, November 15th at 8:30 a.m. There will be a team competition with the winning team earning an outside lunch and teachers earning an off-campus lunch.
DMS Ambassadors will count points and totals will be announced weekly during the morning announcements. Last year DMS collected and donated over 2000 pounds of non-perishable food!
Here are a few of the most needed items:
Peanut butter — 5 points
Canned meats, fruits, vegetables – 1 point each
Canned and boxed meals, soup, macaroni and cheese, etc. - 1 point each
Canned or dried beans – 1 point each
Report Cards, Permission Forms, etc.
Last Thursday, the following paperwork came home with your child:
- Report Cards - keep the paper copy of the student report card and sign and return the envelope as soon as possible.
- ACAP Scores - These are your child’s scores from the 5th Grade Spring ACAP state test. Keep the scores for your records.
- Pep Rally Field Trip Permission Slip (purple paper) - There is no cost associated with this field trip. Please sign and return this form as soon as possible. Students without signed permission will not be allowed to attend the pep rally.
- Flu Vaccine Consent Form - Please fill out and return this form if you would like your child to participate in the vaccine clinic on Friday, November 3rd.
If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact me at any time. We are looking forward to a wonderful week!
J. F. Drake Middle School